1981 September Shows
- September 9 The Agora Ballroom - Houston TX
Write-up, reviews and mentions
- September 2, 1981 Variety - Concert Review (Hollywood Palladium)
- September 14, 1981 People Weekly lp review of Beauty and the Beat
- September 17, 1981 Rolling Stone article: The Go-Go's: Girl group for the Eighties
- September 27, 1981 Los Angeles Times Ad for upcoming show at the Greek Theater
- September 19, 1981 New Music Television - Canada
What were folk listening to on the radio at this time? What songs were being played relentlessly on the radio?
On September 2, 1981 Variety trade publication listed in their publication the top 10 best-selling pop singles on the national retail level. They were:
- Endless Love Diana Ross and Lionel Richie
- Jessie's Girl Rick Springfield
- Queen of Hearts Juice Newton
- Theme from 'Greatest American Hero" Joey Scarbury
- Slow Hand Pointer Sisters
- Stop Draggin' My Heart Around Stevie Nicks w/ Tom Betty & Heartbreakers
- Urgent Foreigner
- The Stroke Billy Squier
- Who's Crying Now Journey
- Double Dutch Bus Frankei Smiith
In September of 1981, Beauty and the Beat lp starts to get reviewed in all the press and trade publications.
September 2, 1981
Variety by Kirk
The Go-Go's concert (with the Rackats) at the Hollywood Palladium is reviewed in Variety.
The article begins like this...
It's hard not to like a group which in so many ways personifies the prototypical all-American rock and roll success story.
In the three years since the Go-Go's began, the femme quintet has evolved from a minimally talented but winsomely vivacious ensemble to one capable of turning out consistently catchy new-pop singles...The one column review of the show was very positive.
September 14, 1981
...They put a spunky '80's spin on the angelic sweetness and coy sexualit of the '60's girl groups....Part of the Go-Go's update is sendup...
September 9, 1981
The Agora Ballroom, (short lived '80's club)
Richmond and Loop 610
The Agora Ballroom in Houston was previously called The Palace. Local band the Judy's would often play here in 1981.
Opening act: Austin's punk band The Big Boys
- 1. Skidmarks On My Heart 3:08
- 2. How Much More 2:54
- 3. Tonight 3:01
- 4. Falling Fast 3:51
- 5. London Boys 2:26
- 6. Cool Jerk 2:34
- 7. Automatic 3:11
- 8. Lust To Love 3:33
- 9. Can't Stop The World 2:57
- 10. This Town 3:34
- 11. Vacation 2:56
- 12. You Can't Walk In Your Sleep 3:18
- 13. Our Lips Are Sealed 3:08
- 14. Having A Party 1:22
- 15. We Got The Beat 2:16
- 16. Surfing And Spying 0:23
- 17. Beatnik Beach 5:25
- 18. Walking In The Sand 6:17
September 17, 1981
The GoGo's: Girl group for the Eighties by Chris Morris
Nice half page article spotlighting the Go-Go's and their new lp, article includes a nice picture of the girls.
September 19, 1981
Go-Go's perform on the New Music Television show in Canada.
MTV was launched August 1, 1981.
Go-Go's perform London Boy's.
September 27, 1981
Los Angeles Times Ad for a upcoming show at the Greek Theater on October 8, 9, and 10 1981. Ticket prices for the show are: $7.50, $10.95 and $12.95.
The opening band was another I.R.S. band - the Fleshtones