Sunday, May 11, 2008

Elisa is fired


June 22, 1979
Elisa Bello is fired from the band.



 June 23, 1979
Gina Schock officially became the drummer for the Go-Go’s.
Go-Go line up is now: Belinda, Gina, Charlotte, Margo and Jane.



photo source: planetGogo

Elissa Bello (former drummer) interview after being fired from the band.

I played the drums. But started out on guitar, and Margot was on the bass. We couldn't find any female drummers in those days, so since I had played them as a hobby, I bought a used set of drums and I became the drummer.
Q) Were Margot and yourself the VERY FIRST "GOGOS" or was it Margot and Jane?
Margot and I were the first members of the band. My cousin introduced us at a party because Margot wanted to be in a band, and I wanted to start an all girl band.
Q) Did you leave the band or did you get chucked out?


I was chucked out on my ass. I was dating this girl (Kari Krome) whose ex- girlfriend (Ginger) decided to become the new manager of The Go-Go's. She just happened to know a drummer who had been playing for years and had her own truck, and great equipment etc. Plus, her father made her these great drum cases.....
Q)Have you seen the Go-Go's perform this year? What do you think of them now.

I have not seen The Go-Go's perform. To be honest, it's not my kind of music.
Q) Did you play in any other bands?
I played in a whole slew of other bands. I mean there were times I played in 3 bands at once. Some of those bands were really good too. And of course some were...well, they were interesting.
Q) How many shows did you play with The Go-Go's?


I don't remember how many shows I played with The Go-GO's. I would have to go and find an historian or someone who documents that shit to figure how many shows I played. All I can tell you is, I 've played all the shows we did from the very beginning to the time they threw me out.
Q) When exactly did you join/leave the GO-GO'S and why?



I never joined The Go-Go's, as you can see. Margot and I put the band together. Although, it was Margot who picked the girls. I wasn't too happy with some of her choices, but, Margot was relentless. I think she may have regretted those choices later on...

Despite our musical differences in the band, I was totally into the whole thing. I really wanted to go somewhere with the band and was very hurt by their decision to kick me out. However, after my dismissal, I still remained friends with them, because I still felt close to the whole thing, and close to all of them as well. Of course, the more famous they became, the less I was in the picture. 

When they kicked Margot out (while she was home sick in bed mind you) that was the last straw. One thing about Margot, she is a survivor and a hard worker. You can't replace her. That girl has soul, and they lost a very important element to the band when they threw her out.

GoGo's get a manager
Around this time the GoGos also got a new manager - Ginger Canzoneri. (Ginger was former girlfriend of Kari Krome of the Runaways). Ginger was working at CBS Records at the times. Ginger started doing artwork for the Go-Go’s and later other business stuff. She was a bit older.
Ginger Canzoneri

-----------------------------------------

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Don't rip someone else's interview! At least give credit where credit is due.

Blogger said...

Searching for the Ultimate Dating Website? Create an account and find your perfect match.